Columbia University, New York, NY
B.A., Literature/Writing, Departmental Honors
Middlesex County College, Edison, NJ
A.A., Liberal Arts: English, Highest Honors
Macmillan (Picador), publishing, New York City, NY – 2014 – present
- Oversee the digital and social media strategy for the entire imprint.
- Assist in supervising marketing assistant.
- Spearhead traditional and digital marketing initiatives for a full slate of literary fiction and non-fiction titles, including paid advertising and earned media.
- Monitor sales to gauge efficacy of marketing efforts.
- Edit metadata for SEO compliance.
- Work with the legal department to clear backlist eBook rights.
- Stay up-to-date on and serve as point person for emerging technologies and platforms, both internal and external.
- Advise authors on social media best practices.
HarperCollins (Dey Street Books, formerly It Books), publishing, New York City, NY – 2012 – 2014
- Developed and executed full marketing and advertising campaigns for 30-40 frontlist titles a year, including Not My Father’s Son by Alan Cumming (#1 Indie Next Pick, New York Times Best Seller), My Drunk Kitchen by Hannah Hart (New York Times Best Seller), I Didn’t Come Here to Make Friends by Courtney Robertson (New York Times Best Seller), Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton, Console Wars by Blake J. Harris, and When It Happens to You by Molly Ringwald.
- Additional contributions to campaigns, including Yes Please by Amy Poehler (#1 New York Times Best Seller), 10% Happier by Dan Harris (#1 New York Times Best Seller), Self-Inflicted Wounds by Aisha Tyler, and Dirty Daddy by Bob Saget.
- Ran the social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Foursquare, Goodreads) for Dey Street Books. This includeded creating content and editorial calendars, running giveaways, and developing strategic partnerships to ensure our social properties are well-placed to deliver viral content. Doubled the number of Twitter and Facebook fans in the first year and increased engagement across all channels. Was responsible for overseeing the digital rebranding of It Books to Dey Street Books in 2014.
- Organized and moderated the Console Wars panel for San Diego Comic Con 2014.
- Analyzed the marketing potential of authors and projects under editorial consideration and created marketing plans for acquisition packages.
- Presented marketing plans to key stakeholders on an ongoing basis, as well as seasonally at sales conference and launch meetings.
- Launched the Harper Crafts line of books under the Harper Design imprint, including building a website (harpercrafts.com) and Facebook (facebook.com/HarperCrafts), designing a sell sheet, building a Big Mouth list, and running an extensive print/digital ad campaign to build brand awareness.
Random House (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group), publishing, New York City, NY – 2011 – 2012
Digital Marketing Associate
- Worked on title marketing campaigns, including 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski, The Third Gate by Lincoln Child, Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway, The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus, Sorry Please Thank You by Charles Yu, Unterzakhn by Leela Corman, and Building Stories by Chris Ware.
- Spearheaded a year-long social media branding campaign for Pantheon Books, creating several well-received new web properties for the imprint (including Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, and a branded GoodReads account) and driving substantial growth to the flagship social media properties of Facebook and Twitter. A viral Twitter campaign, #Noveltini, was covered by The Huffington Post.
- Produced book trailers for Wild by Cheryl Strayed and Sorry Please Thank You by Charles Yu.
- Worked closely with authors to help them develop and extend their online presence.
- Oversaw the April 2012 Knopf Poem-a-Day campaign for poetry month.
- Optimized content for search engines (SEO) and compiled analytics for social media and web properties using Adobe SiteCatalyst (Omniture), Google Analytics, HootSuite, and Facebook Analytics.
- Worked on the development of digital media properties, including creating content for apps (Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Selected Recipes by Julia Child) and enhanced eBooks (Beyond Outrage by Robert B. Reich, My Song by Harry Belafonte).
The Daily Beast, online, New York City, NY – 2009 – 2011
- Reported and wrote articles on a variety topics, including conducting an exclusive interview with Stephen King regarding his comic book debut, an interview with Cherie Blair on the discrimination widows face in developing countries, and an interview with Stephen Sondheim.
- Generated weekly video blogs, including pitching, writing, and editing, coordinating with the photo and production departments to make sure all necessary components had been assembled.
- Wrote SEO-friendly headlines and display copy for stories and videos, tracked traffic in Omniture, used Digg, Buzzfeed, Reddit and other social media sites to drive traffic to videos and stories.
- Started and maintained a Twitter account for the video department (@dailybeasttv), developing a voice for social media outreach.
- Worked with freelancers to get outside-generated content for The Daily Beast.
Gawker Media, online, New York City, NY – 2008 – 2009
- Scouted, pitched, and edited video packages for Gawker websites (including Gawker.com, Defamer.com, Jezebel.com, and io9.com)
GOOD Magazine, magazine, New York City, NY – 2008
Freelance Fact Checker
- Verified facts and figures for magazine articles using online research.
Inside New York, guidebook, New York City, NY – 2006 – 2007
- Edited and fact-checked all of the neighborhood introductions for the 2007 edition.
- Wrote the arts and transportation sections and assorted nightlife/restaurant reviews.
- Copyedited the full manuscript.
Columbia Daily Spectator/The Eye, Columbia University newspaper and magazine, New York City, NY – 2006-2007
Lead Story Editor (The Eye), Humor Editor (The Eye), Off-Lead Beat Chief (Spectator)
- Led weekly meetings with staff writers, developed and edited the weekly 3000-word cover story for The Eye.
- Collaborated with the photo and graphics department to develop the design for each story.
- Created The Eye’s humor section from scratch with co-editor, developed content and cultivated staff.
- Pitched and wrote feature stories for the off-lead page of the Spectator.
Overlook Press, publishing house, New York City, NY – 2006
- Read manuscripts (slush and agent-submitted), wrote reader reports and rejection letters.
- Assembled pull-quotes for press packets, worked with contract files, and copyedited manuscripts.
Guaranteed Staffing, Karltin, Connections, Office Team, CareerBlazers, temp agencies – 2007-2009
- Nationals Inc. – Pageant Assistant – Handled contestant registration, including payment of balances, for Miss Newark and Miss Trenton 2008 pageants.
- Medical Marketing Studies – Research Analyst – Conducted phone surveys with doctors on behalf of pharmaceutical companies, maintained Excel database of doctors, verified publication credits.
- Total Lubricants – Overhauled the filing system.
- Tumi Luggage – Reception – Worked the primary switchboard and signed in visitors.
- S & M Electric – Filed expense reports.
- Advanced Health Media – Mailroom Assistant – Assembled press packets and reimbursement forms.
American Cancer Society/Relay For Life, Woodbridge, NJ – 2004-2005
Marketing and Publicity Chair
- Assembled press kits and wrote newsletters.
- Conducted media interviews and managed VIP/press check-in at event.
Theatre Stuff Inc. with Dodger Theatricals, New York City, NY – 2001
- Supervised a merchandising staff of five for Blast! at the Broadway Theatre.
- Managed inventory stock and balancing the bank at the close of each night.
- Increased sales by more than 25% by implementing strategic promotions and display strategies.
Bat Boy the Musical, New York City, NY – 2001
- Prior to September 11th, worked handing out audience surveys and ushering at the Union Square Theatre.
- Post-September 11th, worked handing out posters and postcards at various midtown locations to raise awareness of downtown theatre.
Walt Disney Theatrical Merchandise, New York City, NY – 2000-2001
- Sold merchandise for the musical Aida at the Palace Theatre.
Binder Casting, New York City, NY – 2000
- Oversaw the children who attended the open casting calls for The Lion King in all five boroughs.
- Ran interference between casting directors and irate stage moms.
- Columbia University Glee Club (President) – 2006
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (Upsilon Gamma Vice President) – 2003-2005
- Middlesex County College Academic Assembly (Educational Resources Task Force) – 2004-2005
- Columbia University Undergraduate Writing Department – Departmental Honors – May 2008
- Middlesex County College – The Larry L. Cohen Award for Excellence in the Study of Literature – April 2005