Columbia University, New York, NY
B.A., Literature/Writing, Departmental Honors
Middlesex County College, Edison, NJ
A.A., Liberal Arts: English, Highest Honors
HarperCollins (It Books / Harper Design), publishing, New York City, NY – 2012 – present
- Develop and execute full marketing and advertising campaigns for 5-10 titles per season, in addition to lending support for individual titles as needed.
- Oversee social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, GoodReads) for It Books and Harper Design Books.
- Work with authors to develop their social media/web presence.
- Liaise with film/television studios to cross-promote our tie-in books.
Random House (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group), publishing, New York City, NY – 2011 – 2012
Digital Marketing Associate
- Worked closely with authors to develop their online presence.
- Spearheaded a year-long social media branding campaign for Pantheon Books, creating several well-received new web properties for the imprint (including Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, and a branded GoodReads account) and driving substantial growth to the flagship social media properties of Facebook and Twitter.
- Shot and edited author videos (including Martin Amis, Nathan Englander, Mark Z. Danielewski, Alexander McCall Smith, Ben Marcus), created book trailers (Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Sorry Please Thank You by Charles Yu).
- Created and deployed newsletters, including Crimes & Misdemeanors (quarterly mystery newsletter) and the April 2012 Knopf Poem-a-Day campaign for poetry month.
- Ran digital campaigns using Facebook self-serve ads and Google AdWords.
- Optimized content for search engines (SEO) and compiled analytics for social media and web properties using Adobe SiteCatalyst (Omniture), Google Analytics, HootSuite, Facebook Analytics, and more.
- Worked on development of digital media properties, including apps (Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Selected Recipes by Julia Child) and enhanced eBooks (Beyond Outrage by Robert B. Reich, My Song by Harry Belafonte).
- Coordinated cross-promotional efforts between KDPG imprints and between KDPG and the other divisions of Random House, served on multiple steering committees aimed at improving communication and marketing across all of Random House.
- Assisted in event planning, including the April 2012 poetry celebration at Housingworks Bookstore co-sponsored by Tumblr and featuring poet laureate Philip Levine, and the JC100 Julia Child celebration at powerHouse Arena in July 2012.
- Assorted marketing duties, including running giveaways on GoodReads and social media, blogger and media outreach.
The Daily Beast, online, New York City, NY – 2009 – 2011
- Reported and wrote articles on a variety topics, including conducting an exclusive interview with Stephen King regarding his comic book debut, an interview with Cherie Blair on the discrimination widows face in developing countries, and an interview with Stephen Sondheim.
- Created video blogs, including pitching, writing, and editing, and coordinating with the photo and production departments to make sure all necessary components have been assembled.
- Aggregated fresh video content for the homepage, including the weekly features The Week in Viral Videos roundup and 7 Best Moments from Sunday Talk.
- Wrote SEO-friendly headlines and display copy for stories and videos.
- Started and maintained a Twitter account for the video department, developing a voice for social media outreach.
- Worked with freelancers to get outside-generated content for The Daily Beast.
- General organizational duties, such as running the video department schedule and managing workflow.
Gawker Media, online, New York City, NY – 2008 – 2009
- Scouted, pitched, and edited videos for Gawker.com, Defamer.com, Jezebel.com, io9.com, etc.
- Imported videos from television and streaming internet using Sling Player and Snapz Pro X.
- Used Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Sorensen Squeeze 4.5, VisualHub, and TransmitFTP to ready videos for embedding.
GOOD Magazine, magazine, New York City, NY – 2008
Freelance Fact Checker
- Verified facts and figures for magazine articles using online research.
Inside New York, guidebook, New York City, NY – 2006 – 2007
- Edited and fact-checked all of the neighborhood introductions for the 2007 edition.
- Wrote the arts and transportation sections and assorted nightlife/restaurant reviews.
- Copyedited the full manuscript.
Columbia Daily Spectator/The Eye, Columbia University newspaper and magazine, New York City, NY – 2006-2007
Lead Story Editor (The Eye), Humor Editor (The Eye), Off-Lead Beat Chief (Spectator)
- Led weekly meetings with staff writers, developed and edited the weekly 3000-word cover story for The Eye.
- Collaborated with the photo and graphics department to develop the design for each story.
- Created The Eye’s humor section from scratch with co-editor, developed content and cultivated staff.
- Pitched and wrote feature stories for the off-lead page of the Spectator.
Overlook Press, publishing house, New York City, NY – 2006
- Read manuscripts (slush and agent-submitted), wrote reader reports and rejection letters.
- Assembled pull-quotes for press packets, worked with contract files, and copyedited manuscripts.
Guaranteed Staffing, Karltin, Connections, Office Team, CareerBlazers, temp agencies – 2007-2009
- Nationals Inc. – Pageant Assistant – Handled contestant registration, including payment of balances, for Miss Newark and Miss Trenton 2008 pageants.
- Medical Marketing Studies – Research Analyst – Conducted phone surveys with doctors on behalf of pharmaceutical companies, maintained Excel database of doctors, verified publication credits.
- Total Lubricants – Overhauled the filing system.
- Tumi Luggage – Reception – Worked the primary switchboard and signed in visitors.
- S & M Electric – Filed expense reports.
- Advanced Health Media – Mailroom Assistant – Assembled press packets and reimbursement forms.
American Cancer Society/Relay For Life, Woodbridge, NJ – 2004-2005
Marketing and Publicity Chair
- Assembled press kits and wrote newsletters.
- Conducted media interviews and managed VIP/press check-in at event.
Theatre Stuff Inc. with Dodger Theatricals, New York City, NY – 2001
- Oversaw a merchandising staff of five for Blast! at the Broadway Theatre.
- Worked selling merchandise for The Music Man at the Neil Simon Theatre and for 42nd Street at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts.
Bat Boy the Musical, New York City, NY – 2001
- Prior to September 11th, worked handing out audience surveys and ushering at the Union Square Theatre.
- Post-September 11th, worked handing out posters and postcards at various midtown locations to raise awareness of downtown theatre.
Walt Disney Theatrical Merchandise, New York City, NY – 2000-2001
- Sold merchandise for the musical Aida at the Palace Theatre.
Binder Casting, New York City, NY – 2000
- Oversaw the children who attended the open casting calls for The Lion King in all five boroughs.
- Ran interference between casting directors and irate stage moms.
- Columbia University Glee Club (President) – 2006
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society (Upsilon Gamma Vice President) – 2003-2005
- Middlesex County College Academic Assembly (Educational Resources Task Force) – 2004-2005
- Columbia University Undergraduate Writing Department – Departmental Honors – May 2008
- Middlesex County College – The Larry L. Cohen Award for Excellence in the Study of Literature – April 2005
- Language: Knowledge of French
- Computer: Proficient in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest), Word/Excel/PowerPoint, PC/Mac OS, Final Cut Pro (7 + X), Photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5, Snapz, Flash conversion (Sorensen Squeeze, Episode, Flix, VisualHub), HTML (intermediate, hand-coding and Dreamweaver CS5), FTP (FileZilla, Transmit, Cute, Fetch), iMovie, WordPress/Moveable Type/Blogger interface, a variety of CMS systems, Adobe InCopy/K4, Omniture/Site Catalyst, Campaign Commander/Emailvision, Final Draft