Digital Marketing Leader and Innovator
Driven and agile marketing professional with a proven track record of success in client relations, metadata optimization, project management, and data analytics, with extensive experience in planning and executing complex digital narratives with a strong creative vision.
+ Ran hundreds of advertising campaigns with successful ROI, including multiple New York Times Best Sellers, with elements including but not limited to PPC, print and digital advertising, OOH, organic and paid social, influencer outreach and strategic brand partnerships, newsletter campaigns, SEM, and grassroots awareness building
+ Managed dozens of projects per quarter, liaising across multiple company divisions to ensure all production, sales, and marketing deadlines and goals were met
+ Optimized workflow in several systems, which resulted in increased efficiency and decreased cost
+ Managed client relations, balancing the needs of all external stakeholders with internal goals
+ Fostered relationships with vendors, often getting access to beta and white-label products well ahead of the competition
Tracked and analyzed marketing data, creating easy-to-digest reports for management and key stakeholders, in order to prove direct correlation between spend and conversion
+ Performed consistent market analysis to ensure we were not only keeping up with the competition but regularly eclipsing them
+ Worked with distribution channels and vendors to manage inventory and secure premium product placements
+ Overhauled product packaging and presentation, bringing it not only in line with industry standards but also making several innovations to the format
+ Oversaw multimedia asset creation such as video spots, trailers, and podcasts, including storyboarding, direction, and light editing
+ Managed 6-figure budgets, tracking spend and pivoting to increase ROI as needed
DIVERSION BOOKS | New York City, NY | 2019 – Present
Head of marketing for an independent book publisher.
– Developed a consumer and industry-facing marketing program from scratch.
– Built a complex, user-friendly workflow infrastructure from the ground up.
– Budget allocation and forecasting for the company.
– Management of support staff.
– Advise on product packaging and positioning to maximize consumer impact and aid in discovery and conversion.
– Liaise with distribution channels, integrating products into existing programs and ensuring proper distribution of information to sales team.
– Booking and design of print and web advertising, as well as execution of all self-serve advertising.
FREELANCE | 2018 – Present
Marketing Strategy Consultant
Freelance marketing and strategy consultation services for independent publishers and authors
– Provide detailed marketing strategies for independent authors to implement, custom designed to work within the confines of their budget and maximize awareness for their books.
– Thorough training, tailored to each project, on Facebook and Amazon Marketing Services, with best practice recommendations drawn upon the experience of running hundreds of campaigns.
– Creation and monitoring of PPC campaigns on Facebook and Amazon, maximizing ROI via thorough testing and dynamic management.
MACMILLAN | New York City, NY | 2014 – 2018
Marketing Manager, Picador
Conceived and executed digital strategy for approximately 100 unique projects a year.
– Planned and executed hundreds of marketing campaigns on all self-serve digital platforms – Facebook, Amazon Marketing Services, Google Display Network, Twitter, Reddit, Outbrain, Taboola – including: budgeting, planning and forecasting; creating copy and images; A/B testing approaches and demographics; managing bids and pivoting strategy mid-flight as needed; and tracking results and presenting them to upper management.
– Worked closely with vendor representatives (Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, independent retailers) to secure online and in-store promotions, implement pricing strategies, and ensure the highest quality of images and copy on product pages.
– Responsible for all organic and paid social media strategy, including content creation, influencer collaboration, and aggressive acquisition campaigns. Most notably started an Instagram account, got it verified and converted to business, and grew it to 20K followers in one year.
HARPERCOLLINS | New York City, NY | 2012 – 2014
Marketing Manager, Dey Street/It Books
Developed and executed full marketing and advertising campaigns for 30-40 projects a year.
– Ran all social media for the group, including creation of content and editorial calendars, managing giveaways, and developing strategic partnerships with outside organizations and influencers.
– Doubled the number of Twitter and Facebook fans in the first year and increased engagement across all channels.
– Oversaw the complete digital branding of the group, including a name and logo change.
– Analyzed the marketing potential of projects under acquisition consideration and provided feedback to upper management. Crafted marketing pitches highlighting our capabilities to high-profile authors in order to help win auction bids.
– Presented marketing plans to key stakeholders on an ongoing basis, as well as seasonally the sales staff and CEOs.
RANDOM HOUSE | New York City, NY | 2011 – 2012
Digital Marketing Associate, Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group
Provided digital marketing support for the group.
– Spearheaded a year-long social media branding campaign for Pantheon Books, creating several well-received new web properties for the imprint and driving substantial growth to the flagship social media properties of Facebook and Twitter.
– Produced several book trailers, including Wild> by Cheryl Strayed.
– Monitored SEO and all social media analytics, presenting key findings to upper management, looking for trends and opportunities to increase sales.
THE DAILY BEAST | New York City, NY | 2009 – 2011
Generated daily content for a 24/7 news site.
– Reported and wrote 1-3 in-depth articles weekly on a variety topics, including conducting an exclusive interview with Stephen King regarding his comic book debut, an interview with Cherie Blair on the discrimination widows face in developing countries, an interview with Stephen Sondheim, and extensive coverage of YA fiction.
– Generated 10-15 entertainment and political blogs weekly, including pitching, writing, and editing, coordinating with production to make sure all necessary components had been assembled, and monitoring and reporting on traffic.
– Wrote SEO-friendly headlines and display copy for stories and videos, used social media to drive traffic to videos and stories, tracked engagement and compiled analytics for reporting to the editor-in-chief.
GAWKER MEDIA | New York City, NY | 2008 – 2009
– Scouted, pitched, and edited video packages for Gawker Media websites, including Gawker, Jezebel, Deadspin, and io9.
Bachelor of Arts, Writing – Columbia University
Graduated May 2008 with departmental honors